Monday, April 25, 2011

Dubstep: What is it?

Dubstep, a new electronic music genre which as taken over dance clubs by storm. Dubstep is a mix of several genres of electronic music coming together to make a new sound. Remixes of 2-step garage breakbeats, bass and drum, and clipped samples are the meat and potatoes of dubstep. One of the biggest characteristics of dubstep is the "drop" when the drum and bass-lines silence, reducing the song to silence and then resuming with even more intensity.

4 comments:

  1. Dubstep doesn’t quite resonate with me for one reason. The use of the strobe effects. The chopping of Dubstep is great especially with Skrillex, however that technique can be found in Techno/Electronica/House/HipHop already.

    Strobe is a definite no go especially not just for its aural sound, but as it is used liberally in each and every dubstep track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. this is amazing I am citing this for #2 it is a music i really didnt know about the commentary was great and helped me to understand more about this genre it is really unique and holy S%#*^ can these people dance i would love to see that live

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend in Hawaii who does his own dubstep remixes.. He goes by the name GlitchDITCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose your blog for question #2. I have a lot of friends here in Hawaii who listen to Dubstep and I wasn't really sure what it was. Your project was helpful in suggesting some songs to get familiarized with the genre.

    ReplyDelete